Sean P. Whalen represents clients in zoning and land use matters, as well as a broad range of real estate, commercial and environmental litigation matters before the Pennsylvania and New Jersey federal and state courts and various governmental agencies, including Departments of Licenses & Inspections, historical commissions, zoning boards, civic associations and other city and township departments and boards. Mr. Whalen's varied experience includes client representation in land use and zoning permitting and approvals from first filing through litigation and appeals, and the litigation and resolution of environmental disputes, real estate disputes, and landlord/tenant litigation.
In 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, Mr. Whalen was named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® Rising Star by a vote of his peers.
University of Michigan Law School, J.D. (2005)
Boston College, B. S. (2000)
Sean Whalen and Carl Primavera co-authored a chapter on litigating real estate claims in the recently ABA-published book entitled "An Introduction to Health Law Litigation Based on Contract and Government Claims." Their chapter focused on a case they successfully litigated in state and federal court involving zoning, land use and the ADA.
Presenter, HalfMoon Education Inc. Seminar, "Determining Land Ownership and Access Rights," January 14, 2015.
"The Prospect of a Housing Finance Market Without Fannie and Freddie," Bloomberg Law Reports - Banking & Finance (Co-author), April 4, 2011.
"Proposed Consumer Financial Protection Agency Would Lead to Seachange in Regulatory System for Financial Services," August 24, 2009.
- Represented builder/developer against municipality action concerning demolition project;
- Represented multiple builders/developers before Historical Commission, Licenses & Inspections, Zoning Board of Adjustment, Court of Common Pleas and Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court concerning permits and approvals for zoning and land use projects;
- Represented builder/developer against engineer regarding failure to discover an underground storage tank;
- Represented landlords in commercial lease disputes;
- Represented builder/developer in arbitration action for rescission of purchase agreement;
- Represented builder/developer in malpractice action against environmental engineering firm;
- Represented builder/developer in construction defect litigation concerning water intrusion claims;
- Represented landlord on condominium conversion;
- Represented corporate trustee bank against breach of fiduciary duty claims in bench trial;
- Represented the Commonwealth in matter arising from Governor's authority to enact executive orders in bench trial; and
- Represented Commonwealth Agency in multi-million dollar litigation against breach of contract claims brought by government contractor.