Herc’s focuses his practice on real estate development with an emphasis on zoning and land use, handling permits, zoning approvals, land development, acquisitions, financing, and leasing. He provides his clients with the full range of legal services needed to get projects approved, constructed and stabilized.
Herc is a trusted advocate and counselor to his clients, who has distinguished himself as an attorney who gets deals done. He is particularly adept at assisting clients with building new properties, navigating the municipal process and following real estate deals from acquisition, to entitlement, to financing and construction, and, finally, to leasing and disposition.
A sampling of representative matters include:
- Obtaining approval and community support for the development of a 1,300 unit mixed use multi-family commercial development on the Philadelphia Waterfront
- Obtaining approval for a 75 unit townhome community on the Philadelphia Waterfront
- Entitlement of a 250,000 sq. ft. self-storage facility with accessory truck rental in Philadelphia
- Redevelopment of a failing mall in the Philadelphia suburbs into a successful retail shopping center
- Entitlement and development of an extended stay hotel in the Philadelphia suburbs
Herc was previously a partner at a mid-sized regional law firm and has served as an assistant city solicitor for the City of Philadelphia Law Department with a focus on code enforcement, finance, contracts and real estate. This experience has enabled him to excel in administrative law and land use matters.
Widener University School of Law, J.D.
Boston College, B.A.
Member, Building Industry Association of Philadelphia
Member, International Council of Shopping Centers
Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
- Entitlement of a 250 unit apartment complex in Philadelphia
- Entitlement of an approximately 170 unit townhome development on Philadelphia waterfront
- Obtaining approval for the adaptive reuse of a large industrial building into 120 multi-family dwellings
- Acquisition and financing of a $20 million development parcel in Philadelphia
- Financing of an approximately $25 million construction loan for development of a multi-family property in Philadelphia
- Redevelopment of a shuttered Philadelphia hospital and medical school into a mixed use campus including offices, student housing, medical, educational and day care uses
- Assisting large townhome and high rise developers in connection with planning, zoning, historic, licensing and inspections and health department permitting
- Representing the developer of a 33-story mixed-use high-rise in Philadelphia, including obtaining variances and approvals for construction, negotiating and working with neighbors and civic associations, and drafting development agreements as part of winning their support for the project
- Acquisition and financing of a multi-family housing project in Hudson County, New Jersey
- Serving as local zoning counsel for the purchase of an approximately two-million square-foot warehouse project in Central Pennsylvania