Patrick concentrates his practice on the representation of private investment funds on behalf of general partners, sponsors and investors, privately held companies and publicly traded corporations. He is also co-chair of the retail, restaurant and hospitality industry group and a member of the franchise and licensing industry group.
Patrick works with commercial, individual and mid-market clients advising them on their complex day-to-day legal issues. He routinely counsels clients on how to operate their businesses in the most efficient, successful manner, encouraging them to focus on the most important details in order to fully understand the big picture.
These issues are in connection with general corporate governance matters, general corporate counseling and a wide range of complex business and commercial matters including:
- Equity and debt offerings.
- Venture capital and private equity financing.
- Commercial financing.
- Mergers and acquisitions.
- Joint ventures.
- Strategic investments and similar transactions.
Patrick works with an exceptionally diverse compilation of businesses and industries. He has expertly advised private equity funds, international investment firms, manufacturing companies, real estate owners, retailers, restaurants and others.
Recent representations Patrick has handled include:
- A restaurateur through the process of forming an investment partnership, obtaining senior financing and the development and opening of several restaurants in Philadelphia and nationwide.
- A local manufacturing company in the $25 million sale of substantially all of the assets of the company.
- A private equity fund in structuring several joint ventures and investment partnerships in connection with a $233 million purchase and redevelopment of office properties.
Prior to joining Klehr, Patrick served as in-house counsel at the U.S. headquarters for a Spanish energy and manufacturing company.
Temple University, Beasley School of Law, J.D., cum laude
– Note/Comment Editor, Temple Law Review
– Raynes McCarty Award for scholarly achievement in the law
University of Notre Dame, B.A.
Member, American Bar Association
Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
Member, Association for Corporate Growth
ACGU 2014 Class Ambassador, Association for Corporate Growth (2014)
Member, Marketing Committee, Philadelphia Association for Corporate Growth (2016-2018)
Member, Membership Committee, Philadelphia Association for Corporate Growth (2018-Present)
Member, Curtis Institute of Music, Crescendo Club
Secretary, Liberti Fairmount Cooperative Preschool (2018-Present)
Member, Notre Dame Club of Philadelphia
Member, The Notre Dame Lawyers Committee of Philadelphia
News & Events
Author, “COVID-19 Restrictions Loosened to Allow Limited Indoor Dining in Philadelphia“, August 21, 2020
Author, “Restaurants and Bars in Pennsylvania Imposed with New Restrictions,” July 17, 2020
Author, “Relief Available to The Restaurant and Hospitality Industries Under the Cares Act,” March 31, 2020
Co-Presenter, “Partnerships and LLC Interest Transfers and Exit Rights – Part 2,” accredited CLE, October 24, 2019
Co-Presenter, “Partnerships and LLC Interest Transfers and Exit Rights,” accredited CLE, July 24, 2019
Author, “Alert: Philadelphia Contribution and Pay-To-Play Laws,” April 2019
Author, “Alert: Starting Up Strong, Top Five Takeaways for Companies,” November 7, 2018
Presenter, “Starting Up Strong,” WeWork, Philadelphia, June 12, 2018
Co-presenter, “Starting Up Strong,” WeWork, Philadelphia, February 27, 2018
Co-presenter, “The Ins and Outs of Real Estate Joint Venture Companies, Part II, accredited CLE, April 19, 2017
Co-presenter, “The Ins and Outs of Real Estate Joint Venture Companies,” accredited CLE, March 22, 2017
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented the owner of a company that provides software and consulting services to employee stock ownership plans in the sale of all the issued and outstanding shares of its capital stock. In connection with the transaction, also negotiated employment agreements for an executive of seller.
- Represented a supplier of industrial gases and equipment, in the sale of substantially all of its assets. In connection with the transaction, also negotiated employment agreements on behalf of several executives and leases between an affiliate of the sellers and the buyer for the continued operation of the current business locations.
- Represented a buyer in a stock purchase transaction to acquire all the issued and outstanding shares of capital stock of a developer and manufacturer of antimicrobial technology and related products. In connection with the transaction, also negotiated consulting agreements with principals of the sellers, loan documents in connection with a portion of the purchase price and a royalty agreement in connection with the intellectual property.
- Represented a real estate company in the negotiation of a joint venture transaction in connection with the redevelopment of a mixed-use property. In connection with the transaction, also negotiated a property management agreement.
- Represented a real estate company in the negotiation of a joint venture transaction in connection with the development of a restaurant.
- Represented a fund sponsor in connection with its private offering of investment units to be used for renovating commercial real estate holdings.
- Represented a residential real estate developer in its private offering of investment units for the purpose of raising funds to develop residential real estate properties located in Philadelphia.
- Represented a residential real estate developer in connection with the buyout of its joint venture partner. In connection with the transaction, negotiated two bank loans and a preferred equity investment from a new investor.
- Represented a developer and manufacturer of antimicrobial technology and related products in a joint venture and financing transaction.
Restaurants and Hospitality
- Represented a restaurant management company in the purchase of a commercial property in Pennsylvania, the negotiation of loan for the purchase of the land and the development of a restaurant at the location and a private offering of securities to investors to raise funds in connection with the development of the restaurant.
- Represented a restaurant management company in the negotiation of a management agreement for the development of a restaurant on a college campus.
- Represented a bar/restaurant in connection with its private offering of securities to investors and in connection with its receipt of financing from a quasi-governmental entity.
- Represented a restaurant investor group in several restaurant investments in connection with private offerings of securities to investors.
- Represented a restaurant group in general business and legal matters in connection with new restaurant opportunities and related fundraising.
- Represented a full-service engineering, energy consulting, construction management and commissioning firm in general corporate matters.
- Represented an event planning company in general corporate matters.
- Represented a provider of recycled paperboard and specialized folding cartons in general corporate matters.