Paul is a former Chair and Co-Chair of the firm’s Litigation Department, positions he held for 22 years at the firm. He is a highly successful trial lawyer with substantial experience in both complex commercial and employment disputes. He represents public and private companies including real estate property owners and developers, pharmaceutical companies, manufacturing companies, universities, financial service companies and non-profits.
Clients trust Paul with high-stakes business litigation involving contract disputes, employment claims, internal investigations, restrictive covenant and trade secrets issues, whistleblower and other retaliation claims, securities litigation and real estate disputes.
Judge Keven J. Carey called Paul’s trial advocacy “as good as I’ve seen” and “a model of how a lawyer should conduct himself in the courtroom.” LNR-Lennar Washington Square, LLC v. Dolce View LLC, No. 09-50885 (Bankr. D.Del. June 4, 2009). Paul prides himself on achieving outstanding results for his clients while providing first-rate and efficient service.
Duke University School of Law, J.D.
– Editorial Board, Duke Law Journal
– Dean’s Cup Champion
Temple University, L.L.M. in Trial Advocacy
Duke University, A.B., magna cum laude
Law Clerk, Honorable Donald W. VanArtsdalen, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Awards & Honors
Martindale-Hubbell “AV Preeminent” rated
News & Events
Presenter, “LGBTQ Employees in the Workplace: What Comes Next?,” August 19, 2020
Presenter, “Litigating Trade Secret Claims Beyond Injunctive Relief,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute accredited CLE seminar, July 27, 2020.
Presenter, “Defending Sarbanes-Oxley and Dodd-Frank Act Whistleblower Retaliation Claims,” accredited CLE seminar, October 16, 2018.
Presenter, “Advanced Cross-Examination Strategies and Techniques,” accredited CLE seminar, September 26, 2018
Presenter, “Letters of Intent: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly,” accredited CLE seminar, September 20, 2018
Presenter, “Best Practices for Internal Investigations in the ‘Me Too’ Era,” accredited CLE seminar, June 6, 2018
Presenter, “Brokerage Agreements from the Owner’s Perspective,” accredited CLE seminar, February 21, 2018.
Presenter, “Trial Presentation Strategies,” accredited CLE seminar, March 12, 2013.
Presenter, “Trial Techniques: A Recent Case Study,” accredited CLE seminar, June 21, 2012.
Presenter, “Trial Evidence, Part 1,” accredited CLE seminar, December 7, 2011.
Presenter, “Prior Statements of Fact Witnesses at Trial: Roadmap of Federal Rules,” accredited CLE seminar, April 22, 2010.
Presenter, “Evidentiary Objections at Trial: A Case Study,” accredited CLE seminar, March 5, 2010.
- A real estate fund regarding a multimillion-dollar dispute over the sale of a condominium complex in Los Angeles.
- A national university in defense of invasion of privacy claims.
- A retail food chain regarding a multimillion-dollar dispute over the leasing of its headquarters.
- Multiple corporate investigations for a Fortune 500 company.
- A pharmaceutical wholesaler in defense of antitrust conspiracy claims.
- A train manufacturer in defense of multimillion-dollar breach of warranty claims arising from alleged fleet-wide defects.
- A pharmaceutical company to prove its contractual right to receive over $35 million from its joint venture partner.
- A manufacturer in prosecution and defense of payment, delay, and intellectual property claims arising from the design and production of human centrifuges.
- The owner of a high-rise commercial office building in disputes regarding renovations and relocation of tenants.
- A financial institution in a case involving the deconstruction of a tax shelter scheme costing investors millions of dollars.
- The owner of a high-rise mixed-use building in a dispute regarding contractual indemnity obligations of the previous owner related to asbestos removal.
- A train manufacturer in a public bidding dispute regarding the sale of hundreds of rail cars.
- A manufacturer in contractual disputes arising from the design and production of a monorail system.
- An animal health company in a contractual dispute regarding poultry breeding.
- A software company in a dispute with its joint venture partner over millions of dollars of lost royalties.
- A university in a complex construction dispute.
- A monorail manufacturer in litigation regarding insurance coverage for late delivery claims.
- The seller in a multimillion-dollar corporate transaction in defense of claims of continuing liability.
- A pharmaceutical company in defense of RICO and common law fraud claims.
- A real estate developer in forcing the closing based on a restrictive covenant of a newly constructed branch of a national chain store.
- A financial institution in defense of breach of fiduciary duty claims involving state and federal estate and tax matters of first impression.
- A university in a dispute over the right to research grants.
- A pharmaceutical company in defense of tortious interference and defamation claims involving alleged lost profits exceeding $50 million.
- A charitable foundation in a multimillion-dollar contract, real estate, and grant dispute.
- A subway car manufacturer in prosecution of a multimillion-dollar breach of warranty claim with a subcontractor.
- A real estate developer in prosecution of defamation claims against a newspaper.
- A real estate developer in defense of claims regarding the dissolution of a real estate partnership.
- A financial institution in a dispute with a computer manufacturer regarding internet banking.
- A law firm in defense of claims involving the dissolution of a law partnership.
- A home builder in various engagements regarding construction disputes.
- A textile manufacturer in various engagements involving disputes with subcontractors and buyers.
- A staging and production company in a highly publicized breach of warranty dispute.
- An investment advisor in defense of multimillion-dollar fraud claims related to an alleged tax shelter scheme.
- A financial services company in defense of various cases involving claims under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, Title VII, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and related state law claims.
- A Fortune 500 company in defense of cases brought in multiple states involving claims under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, ERISA, Title VII, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and related state law claims.
- A nationwide company in class and collective wage claims under the FLSA and state laws involving plaintiffs in various states asserting off-the-clock and allegedly improper wage deductions.
- A train manufacturer in defense of age discrimination and retaliation claims.
- A non-profit corporation in defense of class actions involving Fair Labor Standards Act and related state law claims.
- A non-profit corporation in defense of retaliation claims.
- An investment management company in defense of Fair Labor Standards Act and related state law claims.
- An investment management company in defense of age, disability, and gender claims.
- A non-profit corporation in defense of race and national origin claims.
- A furniture rental company in defense of retaliation and whistleblower claims.
- A hotel owner in defense of sexual harassment claims.
- A Fortune 500 company in defense of an employee’s claim regarding the forfeiture of stock options.
- A clothing retailer in multiple defense engagements regarding discrimination claims.
- An actuarial firm in defense of ERISA claims.
- A Fortune 500 company in multiple engagements regarding employee fraud and theft.
- A textile manufacturer in a contractual dispute with an executive.
- An individual supervisor in defense of sexual harassment claims.
- Various companies in many restrictive covenant and related trade secret disputes.
- Numerous executives in severance negotiations and other disputes with their current or former employers.