Stephan is the co-chair of the real estate and finance department. His real estate practice encompasses a wide range of real estate activities, including acquisitions, dispositions, leasing, financing, development, construction and restructuring for a wide variety of clients, including REITs, private equity funds, retailers, medical, dental and other professional service providers, gaming companies, universities, and non-profit organizations. Stephan is adept in a broad range of property types such as retail, office, industrial, multi-family and mixed use and ownership structures including fee simple, ground lease, air space, condominium, planned community and cooperative.
Stephan’s recent significant matters include:
- Counseled owner/developer of a three building, ~373,000 sq. ft., office complex in connection with the negotiation of three office leases with a major health insurance provider that will occupy all of the rentable area in the complex, which complex will be entirely renovated over 3-4 years.
- Counseled owner/developer in connection with the negotiation of a long-term lease to a Fortune 12 company that will occupy all or substantially all of a ~429,000 sq. ft. build-to-suit office building within a mixed-use project that will also contain a multi-level parking garage for ~1,500 vehicles, a ~165 room limited service hotel, a gastropub within a historic firehouse and public open space.
- Counseled owner/developer in connection with the negotiation of a long-term lease to a Fortune 375 company that will occupy ~144,000 sq. ft. within a ~363,000 sq. ft. historic office building.
- Counseled owner/developer of a ~350,000 sq. ft. project containing luxury student housing and retail/commercial space in connection with a $163 million construction loan secured by a first mortgage on the project.
- Counseled owner/developer of a start-up best-in-class private urban social, hospitality, business and wellness club in connection with a ~75,000 sq. ft. long term lease.
- Counseled owner/developer of a start-up best-in-class co-working space provider in connection with a ~34,000 sq. ft. long term lease.
- Counseled family partnership in connection with the sale of a commercial property to a developer that will redevelop the property into ~16 townhomes.
- Counseled owner/developer of an office building in connection with the grant of a preservation easement on the facade and certain objects within the building that contribute to the historic aspects of the city within which such building is located.
Temple University School of Law, LL.M., Taxation
Villanova University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
University of Pittsburgh, B.S., cum laude
Sustaining Member, Samuel Zell and Robert Lurie Real Estate Center, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania (2019 – present)
Member, Board of Trustees, Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia (2010-2014)
Co-Chair, Commercial Leasing Committee of the Real Property Section of the Philadelphia Bar Association (1997 – 1999)
News & Events
Author, “What Should Business Owners Do if they Receive a Notice of Unavoidable Delay (AKA Force Majeure Notice)?” March 19, 2020
Author, “Will Business Owners Be Able To Recover COVID-19 Related Losses Under Their Business Interruption Insurance?” March 17, 2020
Author, “Coronavirus/COVID-19: Issues for Commercial Real Estate Owners and Operators to Consider,” March 13, 2020
Author, “Lease Extension Options, Baseball Arbitration and Forfeiting the Ball Game,” published on LinkedIn, February 21, 2017
Author, “Some Things Can and Should Go Without Saying,” published on LinkedIn, February 2, 2017
Speaker, “Advanced REA Issues and Other Short Stories and Tall Tales,” ICSC U.S. Law Conference in Orlando, Florida, October 26, 2012
Author, “Facility Owners, Operators Rev Up to Comply With Motor Vehicle Idling Act,” The Legal Intelligencer, February 4, 2009
Author, “Act 52 Amends the Pennsylvania Mechanics’ Lien Law of 1963,” September 2006