We advise individuals, corporations and educational institutions on transactional intellectual property issues as well as on complex litigation matters.
Klehr Harrison’s intellectual property practice shares the firm’s business-oriented, entrepreneurial approach to the law by providing innovative business solutions to intellectual property concerns and protecting our clients’ most valuable asset, their intellectual property. Our intellectual property practice is broad in scope– from creation to protection to monetization of IP. We work closely with our corporate and securities, litigation, and labor and employment practice groups to provide comprehensive representation.
IP capabilities include:
- Establishing Clients’ IP Rights Through Trademark and Copyright Clearance, Procurement, and Registration. The lawyers in our intellectual property practice advise clients on the selection, proper use and registration of trademarks and service marks, provide trademark clearance opinions and assist clients in filing and prosecuting trademark and copyright applications throughout the world. Our intellectual property practice is international in scope, and we regularly manage clients’ trademark portfolios internationally, including engaging and working with local counsel in foreign countries to protect and enforce clients’ intellectual property rights there. Klehr Harrison also routinely represents clients in the United States Patent & Trademark Office and in administrative actions before the United States Trademark Trial and Appeals Board, including handling trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings.
- Protecting and Enforcing Clients’ IP Rights. When clients’ intellectual property rights are threatened or infringed or when clients are accused of infringing others’ rights, we are second to none in providing aggressive, business-oriented, efficient representation. We have bred seasoned intellectual property litigators who have successfully represented clients in many diverse and complex intellectual property litigation matters. In this respect, the intellectual property practice combines its skills with those of the firm’s litigation department and labor and employment practice to represent clients in intellectual property litigation in federal and state courts throughout the United States. We have extensive experience in matters involving:
- Trademark, copyright and patent infringement
- False Advertising
- Misappropriation of trade secrets and confidential information
- Unfair competition
- License agreement disputes
- Anti-counterfeiting enforcement and disputes
- Monetizing IP Rights. We regularly advise clients in commercially exploiting and monetizing their intellectual property rights through, among other things, licensing transactions, sale transactions, and joint ventures, to create additional or new sources of revenue for clients. Our experience in representing clients both as transferors and transferees, such as clients acquiring IP rights of others and clients selling their rights. Some of the firm’s capabilities include due diligence analysis; copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret and technology license agreement negotiation and preparation; and merger, sale, and joint venture negotiation and preparation of transaction agreements.